Steven Galloway‘s third novel is set in the siege of Sarajevo which extended from 1992 to 1996. It was the longest siege in the history of modern warfare and an incredible example of man’s inhumanity to his own species. This is an impressive book for a Canadian who had never been to the city or even the country before researching it.
The chapters in this short novel are innovatively titled with the names of the four principal characters with the name of the character whose perspective rules it in bold.
I was deeply moved by the chapters devoted by Arrow, the counter-sniper in charge of keeping a cellist mourning the brutal death of 22 people in a mortar blast while waiting in a bread line. Even more touching was the fact that these characters are based on real people and events. Galloway’s skill really brought me there and showed me what a continuing stream of atrocity can do to people.
Very highly recommended.
If wishes were horses
Golbing Time Dimension
- Using Excel to generate Inserts for SQL Server
- Ask not for whom the Ant toils
- Junior Rangers
- SQL Server Performance and the IN clause
- Georgian Manor, hard sells and pyramid schemes
- Data Obfuscation through Random String replacement in SQL Server
- Creating a SQL Server database by script
- SQL Server 2005 file sizes and filegrowth
- An Acoustic Evening with Al Stewart with special guest Dave Nachmanoff
- Deciding against Code Collapse in SQL Server Management Studio 2008
Tag! You’re it!2008 age Apocalypse art Atheism bicycling Biology book Canadian cards Christmas climate change comedy conservation cycling database Disney documentary environment environmental awareness Excel fantasy film game graphic novel Guelph Guelph Festival of Moving Media Guelph International Film Festival haiku hiking history humour Jane Austen long distance love Microsoft Montreal movie music mystery native Nature Neil Gaiman novel Old Growth Forest Oshawa performance philosophy Poem poetry Poetry Month quote recipe relationship review Robert J. Sawyer science fiction short story silliness silly snow society Space opera speculative fiction Spring SQL SQL Server SQL Server 2005 Stephen King story The Education of Mike Moonblazer touring TV water writing