Over the past year I’ve been slowly adapting myself and an old PC to use Ubuntu. At first Gutsy and now Hardy. We have Windows and Mac systems, too, but it’s hard to get on those these days with everyone competing for time on them. I do enjoy the independence of my own Linux box where I’m immune to interference from corporate software, viruses, most games and the kids wanting to play them.
I tell them, “I’m sorry _put_whining_kid’s_name_here_, but my machine can’t do that. Go away!” Of course, as I learn more about systems like Wine, I realize that I’m lying. But habits like that are hard to break.
I use OpenOffice to write and calculate with, RhythmBox Music Player to download podcasts, Firefox for surfing, GTK Aiksaurus for thesaurusing, XSane for scanning, and Inkscape and Gimp for drawing and fixing photos. Almost everything I need. One program which I miss, though, is Total Commander which I already golbed about. It partly works on Wine but not the file renamer utility which I needed the other day to massage the names of several mp3 podcasts.
I could have learned how to bash up a shell script to do it but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t reinventing any Ubuntu wheels before I went too far down that road.
As it happens I was listening to a Windows Weekly podcast and one of the hosts, Paul Thurrott, mentioned that he was feeling the same need in Windows Vista. I could have told him that Total Commander would more than fulfill his needs but on the next episode another listener had told him about Ant Renamer but this is Windows software too. I checked the website and the author, Antoine Potten, doesn’t think it would work in Wine so I haven’t attempted it.
So this spurned me to do some more searching and I found a few Ubuntu programs. The first one, pyRenamer, looked good but I couldn’t get it to do the filetype renaming I needed: many mp3 files had extra garbage after the ‘mp3’. The latest version looked better but I wasted quite a while trying to get the latest package compiled on my system and finally gave up. So I tried mrename but that was command line only and seemed limited. Finally I found Purrrr. It look me a while to figure out how to use it (the man page is terrible and the help doesn’t work) but this site showed me what I needed to make it do what I wanted. It doesn’t do all the special renaming that pyRenamer does but it did allow me to rename all filetypes to a specific filetype.
So I’m going to keep pyRenamer (hoping the latest version will finally be made available — since it has some even more cool features) and Purrr as it does the trick for now!
If wishes were horses
Golbing Time Dimension
- Using Excel to generate Inserts for SQL Server
- Junior Rangers
- The Bird Can't Fly
- SQL Server 2005 file sizes and filegrowth
- Deciding against Code Collapse in SQL Server Management Studio 2008
- Laurier in Chain e-mails on Immigration
- Newfie Euchre
- Matrix Revisited
- Data Obfuscation through Random String replacement in SQL Server
- Creating a SQL Server database by script
Tag! You’re it!2008 age Apocalypse art backup bicycling Biology book Canadian cards Christmas comedy conservation cycling database Disney documentary environment environmental awareness Excel fantasy film game global warming graphic novel graphic novels Guelph Guelph Festival of Moving Media Guelph International Film Festival haiku hiking history humour Jane Austen Kazu Kibuishi long distance love Microsoft Montreal movie music mystery native Nature Neil Gaiman novel Old Growth Forest Oshawa performance podcast Poem poetry Poetry Month quote rain recipe review Robert J. Sawyer science fiction short story silly snow Space opera speculative fiction Spring SQL SQL Server SQL Server 2005 Stephen King story The Education of Mike Moonblazer touring TV water writing