We watched this gem of a movie directed by Craig Gillespie last night after being on the waiting list at the library forever. But it was well worth the wait. I love films about small towns and this story by Nancy Oliver is one where someone with a mental illness is supported gently but firmly by his community. Ryan Gosling is superb as Lars Lindstrom and has a fantastic supporting cast especially Kelli Garner as Margo. The actors don’t overplay their roles and the story doesn’t sink to maudlin and cheap drama. It remains simply beautiful, wonderfully funny and desperately poignant in our over-complicated lives.
Very highly recommended.
If wishes were horses
Golbing Time Dimension
- Using Excel to generate Inserts for SQL Server
- Junior Rangers
- Something Greater than me
- Northwest of 1721's Kodiak
- Data Obfuscation through Random String replacement in SQL Server
- The Tale of the Bunny on Paul Avenue
- Sunday afternoon at Camp Restall
- SQL Server Performance and the IN clause
- Creating a SQL Server database by script
- Georgian Manor, hard sells and pyramid schemes
Tag! You’re it!2008 age Apocalypse art Atheism bicycling Biology book Canadian cards Christmas comedy conservation cycling database Disney documentary environment environmental awareness Excel fantasy film game global warming graphic novel Guelph Guelph Festival of Moving Media Guelph International Film Festival haiku hiking history humour Jane Austen long distance love Microsoft Montreal movie music mystery native Nature Neil Gaiman novel Old Growth Forest Oshawa performance philosophy Poem poetry Poetry Month quote recipe relationship review Robert J. Sawyer science fiction short story silliness silly snow society Space opera speculative fiction Spring SQL SQL Server SQL Server 2005 Stephen King story The Education of Mike Moonblazer touring TV water writing