I picked up one of the DVDs from the first season of Nero Wolfe on a whim at the library and I’m trying to see them all. I need to see them all! I’ll be most upset if the library doesn’t have the 2nd season.
These episodes are good mystery viewing but they’re also excellent repertoire drama. The main characters are Nero Wolfe (a different role for Maury Chaykin) and Archie Goodwin (Timothy Hutton who is also the Executive Producer and the Director for 4 episodes). I’ll include Fritz Brenner (Colin Fox) too since he appears in almost all the episodes too as the wonderful Swiss cook. A fairly tight group of actors kept reappearing in the episodes, often in many different characters. It was filmed in Toronto.
This A&E mystery series which lasted two years (2001 and 2002) is, first and foremost, excellent period (late 1940’s) acting. The characterization of Rex Stout’s novella is superb. Maury Chaykin and Timothy Hutton really bring the characters alive in such a way that watching these episodes makes you laugh, groan and feel great admiration for them.
I must try to find The Golden Spiders too, the movie that spawned the series.
If wishes were horses
Golbing Time Dimension
- Laurier in Chain e-mails on Immigration
- Using Excel to generate Inserts for SQL Server
- Cat curled up by register in the washroom
- Data Obfuscation through Random String replacement in SQL Server
- Biotype Editorial, Dec. 1990
- Celebrating Odd Day
- Deciding against Code Collapse in SQL Server Management Studio 2008
- Veni, Vidi, Deus Vicit on this day in 1683
- Boy, Roald Dahl and early Sensory Science
- Creating a SQL Server database by script
Tag! You’re it!
- climate change
- environmental awareness
- graphic novel
- Guelph Festival of Moving Media
- Guelph International Film Festival
- Jane Austen
- long distance
- Old Growth Forest
- Robert J. Sawyer
- science fiction
- short story
- Space opera
- speculative fiction
- SQL Server
- SQL Server 2005
- Stephen King
- The Education of Mike Moonblazer